Todd A. Vaughn
Mr. Vaughn, a Principal of the firm, is head of JIPL's Mechanical and Design Practice Group, where he focuses on patent strategy, procurement, licensing, and global portfolio management and development. He also has extensive experience providing guidance and counseling on various aspects of brand management, with an emphasis on trademark strategy, preparation, prosecution, maintenance, licensing, and enforcement relating to trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Todd counsels clients in worldwide acquisition, preparation, and prosecution of patents in the mechanical, electrical, software, chemical, and electro-mechanical arts. His prosecution expertise includes all areas of automotive systems, software, household appliances, power conversion, consumer goods, industrial tools, industrial machinery and equipment, cutting tools, mechanical presses, cutlery, medical devices, printers, sporting goods, food processing, nano-technology, green/clean technology, and semiconductor devices.
Prior to entering private practice, Todd was a Patent Examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, where he evaluated patent applications for patentability in the mechanical arts (TC 3700), including industrial tools and hand tools. He also served as an adjunct professor at the George Washington University (GWU), teaching the fundamentals of litigation in the College of Professional Studies. He has traveled extensively abroad to conduct seminars on patents, trademarks, and industrial designs.
- Juris Doctor, Texas Southern University, 1997
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1993
- District of Columbia, Attorney-At-Law
- State of Texas (Inactive)
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney
- Assc’n Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- District of Columbia Bar (Intellectual Property Law Section)
- Intellectual Property Owners (IPO)
- National Bar Association (NBA)
Published Works/Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, “Shutting 'Em Down: A Holistic, Non-Traditional Path to Getting Ahead of and Stopping Trademark Infringers," NAMWOLF, 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting (September 2020)
- Panelist, “The Other Patent Type: Design Patent Considerations for Companies," National Bar Association Commercial Law Section, New Orleans, LA (February 2020).
- Panelist, “Developing a robust IP strategy from the supply chain and academic research to strategic issues," Automotive Legal and IP Summit USA, Ann Arbor, MI (September 2019).
- Presented "Claims Drafting for Beginners, 16th Annual Independent Inventors Conference, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA (August 2014).
- Panelist, "Impact of AIA, CPC, AFCP, QPIDS, Examiner Interviews, USPTO Satellite Offices," Supervisory Patent Examiners and Classifiers Organization, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA (May 2014).
- Presented "Patent Law Primer," Dominion Bar Association CLE, Richmond, VA (2011).
- "Navigating Startups Through China's IP Landscape,” pp. 17-18, Modern DC Business (Spring 2010).
- "The China Affair: Protecting Your IP Assets from Knockoffs,” pp. 36-37, Supplier Global Resource (Jul/Aug 2007).
- “Protecting Your Intellectual Property,” pp. 24-26, Supplier Global Resource(Nov/Dec 2005).
- “Patent Protection 101,” pp. 61, Supplier Global Resource (July/Aug 2005).
- Member, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Member, USA Track & Field (USATF)
Todd is father to one daughter, Hailey Anne, and grandfather to one granddaughter, Adelaide. He is an avid cyclist and wine enthusiast. A former personal trainer and high school track and field/athletics All-American, he enjoys various sports, such as American football, soccer/football, and track and field/athletics.